The following 7 questions were submitted to Terry Hickey:
Q1. Will you commit to returning the Hope Township LLRW TRUST Fund capital and unspent interest to the W2 ratepayers?
Q2. Will you respect the terms of the LLRW Agreement (Schedule 8, Township of Hope Fund) which states that the annual interest on the $10M Hope Township LLRW TRUST Fund will be used “to defray the lower tier municipal taxes or levies which would otherwise be payable by the ratepayers” of the former Township of Hope?
Q3. Will you commit to re-open the area rating of taxes between Ward 1 and Ward 2, cancel the 37% tax increase to Ward 2, and work out a fair, equitable and transparent sharing of taxes between Ward 1 and Ward 2?
Q4. Will you demand a cost breakdown and public disclosure of where our tax money is being spent in each department and in each Ward?
Q5. Will you agree to continue OPP policing for Ward 2 as long as Ward 2 residents wish it to continue?
Q6. Will you agree to keep the Welcome Fire Station open?
Q7. How will you address and overcome the current discord between Ward 1 and Ward 2 with positive action?
Terry Hickey’s reply was the following:
My personal position with respect to Ward 2 issues is well known and can also be found on my website: www.terryhickey.ca
The questions asked below are asked in manner that cannot be answered with a simple yes or no, especially those questions with multiple components. What I can say is:
1. The area rating situation should be re-opened and dealt with in an open manner where all parties come into this with the single agenda of getting to the truth.. only.
2. The LLRW funds should be managed according to its legal intent.
3. The accounting system needs modification to clearly appropriate costs to Wards so that all citizens can understand the allocation of funds.
4. I have already indicated the 3 fire stations should continue where they are and be brought up to standards.
5. Should Ward 2 wish to keep the OPP given that service and costs are agreeable to the residents, I cannot foresee needing to change. However, I do note that policing standards and costs are so subject to change that we must always pay attention and address as required.
6. The indication of discord between Ward 1 and Ward 2 is wrongly phrased. The issue is with Ward 2 and the Municipal Government. I believe that any Ward 2 special interest groups who suggest such a discord are doing a disservice to both Wards.